Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Jacki's Challenge

A few days ago Jacki gave us a challenge to make a card that "wasn't a rectangle." I kept thinking about that, and knew I needed two baby cards for showers that are this week. So here is what I came up with.

I took one sheet of white card stock, and one sheet of blue card stock, cut each in half, folded each and cut a large scalloped Nestabilities circle (largest of large set) from the blue, and a small scalloped Nestabilties circle (third largest of large set) from the white, extending the die to create the top fold. I embossed the front of the blue circle using the Stylized Flowers embossing folder from Cuttlebug, and embossing the white circle with "It's A Boy" from the It's a Boy set of 4 embossing folders by Cuttlebug. Overlapping the two at the fold I centered a small straight circle Nestie (chosen to fit the space)and cut through both layers. Using an eyelet punch I punch holes around the white circle, layered them together with double face tape, and added a ribbon bow with a glue dot. The back of each layer is plain.


Sometime back, we on Gingerwood, were discussing signing the backs of our cards: how we do this, what we include besides our name (date, etc.). At that time I mentioned that I was collecting small UM rubber stamps to go with my signature stamps. I have several signature stamps that say things like: made by... or stamped by... to which I will add another small stamp that coordinates with the front of the card. Above is a sample of the small stamps I use. Most of these are the size of a nickel. I have more but I think this will give you an idea. Look at your stamp sets, or those Studio G sets from Michaels. There are lots of possibilities. Another idea are those peg stamps you own. They would coordinate wonderfully. Add something special to the back of your cards.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Antique Table?

My DH's aunt passed away in 2006 and we "inherited" whatever we wanted from her house. It's hard to pick out things you want, when you have a houseful of your own. ((sigh)) We selected several things, among them was this table, and another that was a 1/2 version, but same style. Many of the pieces, including the tables, were very dry, with not much varnish left. There was an obvious inlay pattern on the top, but not in good enough condition to save. We saw that they had potential but didn't want to have to totally refinish them. I suggested we spray paint them glossy black. We took this table outside and sprayed it two or three times, to get the coverage we wanted. Now it is in my craft room holding my Cricut.